Public Education

Public Education (F.A.Q.s)

If you or your organization would like to have more information on scheduling a 911 representative to speak on the correct usage of 911, please contact our office.

What does 9-1-1 provide?

Hocking County Emergency Communications provides 911 services for all of Hocking and Hocking County residents. Fire, Police and Emergency Medical services can be obtained by dialing 9-1-1.

When should I call 9-1-1?

An important consideration when accessing Public Safety Services is understanding when to use 911. If you are unsure as to the immediacy of the need, dial 9-1-1 and let the responder decide. Example: If your car has been broken into, but the perpetrator is nowhere in sight, do not call 911; use the non-emergency number listed in the telephone directory. If you observe someone breaking into your car, call 9-1-1; there is immediate need for assistance to stop/catch the person.

What if I call 9-1-1 by accident?

If you call 9-1-1 by accident, do not hang up. Stay on the line and tell the operator what happened. If you hang up, police will be sent to your home to find out why you hung up.

What if I speak limited English?

Callers who need foreign language assistance are connected, within seconds, to a language interpreter service, where translators can handle more than 140 different languages. A 3-way conversation is placed until all information is collected.